Apr 28, 2011

Dreams

Growing up, as children, didn’t we all have these fantasies of what we’d want to be one day? Didn’t we all wanna be superheroes, famous musicians, actors and actresses, and whatnot?
Well for me, like a lot of little girls out there, I wanted to be a princess. I wanted to live in a big castle, wear pretty dresses and tiaras, and, of course, I wanted to have my own Prince Charming. To be honest, even if I'm 13 years old, I still have that dream of being a princess. But not because I wanted to live in a big castle.


I wanted to be a princess so that I can inspire people.


People may think that being a princess is the easiest job in the world. Boy, are they wrong. I am an avid fan of Meg Cabot’s series, “The Princess Diaries,” so I've read a lot about what it's like to be a princess.


The Princess Diaries is a series about a young girl named Mia Thermopolis who finds out that she is the rightful heir to the throne of a small European nation called, Genovia. The series is about how Mia juggles the tasks of having “princess lessons” and learning how to govern a small country, while at the same time how she copes with the challenges of family, friendship, boys, school, gossip, fitting in, and so much more. She even had to deal with someone who became her friend just to gain fame. In her diary, Mia writes about all her princess lessons and wonders if it will actually do her any good. But then, she learned to love being a princess because she had her friends and family to support her and because she knew that she could, in a way, change the world.


And to quote a line from the movie, (not the book, I know, I'm sorry)

 “And then I realized how many stupid times a day I used the word "I". In fact, probably all I ever do is think about myself. And how lame is that when there's, like, 7 billion other people out there on the planet” – Mia
Princesses are not just there to smile, wave, and look pretty. They do so much more. They help people who are in need, they inspire people to do better, but sometimes, as shown in The Princess Diaries series, they need a little help of their own.

So next time, when we’re tired of our jobs as teacher, doctors, lawyers, or even students, let’s all remember that at least we’re not the ruler of a country. At least an entire country doesn't depend on us to survive. But instead of sympathizing, let’s go out there and help them make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment