Apr 26, 2011

Odd One Out

I am not a veteran blogger. Heck, I wouldn't even consider myself a blogger. This is my first blog, more or less. I don't know how this whole blogging process works, I'm not knowledgeable with all this techy stuff. I'm just a teenage girl who wants to share her thoughts with the world.


I am the middle child in my family. Not the oldest, nor the youngest. Not the loudest, nor the nicest. I am the one in between. To make things worse, I am the only girl. I am considered the odd one out. I am the shade of gray, in between the black and white. I am the glass half empty or full (depending on your outlook in life.) In my 13 years, there has been little in my life that I have done better than the one preceding me or the one following me.


I've always resented my two brothers. My older one, was mean and was considered (by me) as the bully. My younger one, was sweet but was usually considered as the favorite. Then there was me. The only girl. Some people may think that being the only girl is great. You get to be pampered with new clothes, toys, books, anything you wanted. Because you were the girl. Yes, there is a bright side to being the only girl, but I don't care about those things. I don't care if I have the newest clothes, or books, or whatever.


I just wanted to fit in.


Doesn't everyone wanna feel that way? I'm sure I do. I'm sure a lot of people do. But it's hard to do that when you live with two brothers who seem so alike, that you can't help but cry. I've always wanted an older sister. Someone who can give me good advice when it comes to school, crushes, clothes, and everything else. I wanted someone who would understand me.


But then I realized that maybe having two brothers isn't that bad. They're like bodyguards. They're there to protect you from all the evil in the world. From the evil men, to the boys who will break your heart. They're there to save you from all the rigorous homework. You can count on them when you're in tears and in need of a good laugh. And they come to you, if they need advice on girls. Maybe being the only girl isn't so bad.


So there we go. This isn't the last time that I will resent my brothers. This isn't the last time that I will resent being the odd one out. I am still the middle sister. But it's different, now. There has to be a middle. Without it, nothing can ever be truly whole.

It's not just the space between, but also what holds everything together.

3 comments:

  1. you are really poetic. you should consider writing, you are actually really good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I haven't been writing for a long time, but I'll update this blog as soon as I can. Hope you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I was the middle one, too. APIR!! lol.

    ReplyDelete